Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I Have 2 Lightsabers Under My Bed

All throughout the scriptures, we find references to light. We read about light in Genesis 1 when God declares that He made the lights in the heavens to "be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years..." (Genesis 1:14). This symbol pervades the Bible, all the way through the last chapter of Revelation, where we learn that during the Second Coming we will "need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light..." (Revelation 22:5). Why is light such a prevalent concept? Why have God and all the prophets emphasized the relationship between light and darkness? Why, in John 8, does Jesus declare, "I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life"?

To understand, I tried to imagine myself in a room filled with many different objects strewn across the floor. If I flipped the lightswitch off, and tried to cross the room, several things would happen. Because of the darnkess, I would not be able to see. Thus, as I try to cross this floor, I would not be aware of certain obstacles, I would not know where to step next in order make it across smoothly, and I might have to fumble and stumble around a bit to finally get across. Now, if I were to turn the lightswitch on and try again, my journey across the room would drastically change. I have an entirely different perspective now. Through the miracle of light, I can now look around the room and images and shapes will reflect back, allowing me to understand what it is that surrounds me. I can see those obstacles now for what they are, and I can determine how best to overcome them and reach the other side. Another significant difference is that I no longer must guess when I will hit the wall on the other side. Instead, I know where I'm going from the very beginning.

What a beautiful concept. I now better understand the profundity of the statement that Jesus Christ is the light of the world. Surely, with his assistance, just as with the assistance of light, things become clearer, obstacles are better understood, the journey is smoother, and the end is in sight. What a simple metaphor, but what a glorious meaning! No man need stumble their way through life, for Christ is a savior to all.

"If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world" (John 11:9).

No comments:

Post a Comment