Sunday, March 15, 2009

Gushers and a Capri Sun

When Jesus sat with the Samaritan woman at the well, "Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again: But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life" (John 4:13-14)

This account reminded me of another story in John 6 where Jesus feeds five thousand people with merely five barley loaves and two small fishes. When Jesus asked for a means to feed the people that followed him, Andrew told him of a young boy who had the five loaves and two fishes, and said "but what are they among so many?" (6:9). This opportunity allowed Jesus to demonstrate, once again, the principle that with God, nothing is impossible. With God and the Atonement of Christ, how could we ever want for more?

The disciples could not have fed those five thousand people without the divine help of Christ, just as I can not go through life without His divine assistance. I can bear solid witness of the fact that Christ is my foundation, my support, and my advocate. I can remember specific time periods in my life when I've neglected to recognize His hand in my life, and His role in my salvation. I've noticed that during these times, I always seem to be wanting. I think the two metaphors of thirst and hunger that Jesus presents are a profound portrayal of the feeling I get when I fail to rely on Christ. When my first priority is my relationship with God and Christ, and I put forth sincere effort to strengthen that relationship, I can testify that all other aspects of my life fall into place.

No comments:

Post a Comment